I only blogged once during Christmas break, mostly because I wanted to spend as much time as possible with my family doing non-homeschool stuff and somewhat because I was feeling extremely uninspired and sort of blah humbug.
Even though 2014 ended on a blue note for me, I very much enjoyed Christmas break, and I want to recapture a few moments here so my family can remember them forever. :) We didn't do anything super amazing, it was just the little things that made it special.
So, here's to special, ordinary moments that make up our family's story, history, legacy . . . whatever you want to call it:
- Annual light-looking, this time walking the Loop of Lights in San Tan Valley with friends.
- Annual Christmas Eve breakfast of sausage balls (made by dad), monkey bread, apple-cranberry crunch, and pineapple-orange frosty beverages.
- Mr. Giggles - I won't be forgetting the scene any time soon in which my son gave his friend "the best birthday present ever!" It was a much longed-for purple giraffe. :) One day, I just know my son will finally let me post the pics of him in them. (Well, a mom can hold out hope, can't she?)
- Surprised faces on Christmas morning - loved that my boys weren't expecting iPods for Christmas.
- Stuffed animals galore! More to add to Animal Town. So glad I still have one little enough to want "toys." This pic doesn't show all the new additions, but she also got Beanie Boos, a black pony, and a big golden retriever.
- The blue tree - for the past couple of years, hubby and I have put our presents to each other under this tree. This year we even opened our gifts while the kids were still asleep. (First year for the kids to sleep in on Christmas!) Love my lanterns and the new outfit hubby picked out for me. Loved the grey/silver theme he went with as well.
- Countless hours of games (Cactus Games Blink Bible Edition card game, Settlers Of Catan 4th Edition Bundle, Spot It), puzzles with my girl (Ceaco Aqua Shimmer Forest Jigsaw Puzzle), and Studio C. (No, I'm not Mormon, but this sketch comedy is clean and hilarious!)
- New Year's Eve Fun - I think this was the first time we'd ever had anyone over on New Year's Eve. I'm not big on staying up late, in fact, I haven't stayed up until midnight on New Year's Eve since my oldest was a baby. I still went to bed at a decent hour this time around, but the kids had fun staying up late and playing games. I loved seeing their midnight selfies on Instagram the next morning. :)
- Daughter's mini room makeover - while she had a sleepover with her cousin at her grandpa's house, hubby and I fixed up her room. It felt so good to get everything off of the floor! We got a bed frame (her mattress was on the floor), a little desk from IKEA, and some nets for ALL of the stuffed animals. :) Most of the makeover was decluttering, rearranging, and rehanging stuff - getting everything super neat. The challenge for my girl this year is to keep everything neat so I don't have a nervous breakdown when doing homeschool in there. It's actually a lovely room to work in because it's so bright and cheery.
- Purchase of some art supplies - going to try and put some effort into my creative side this year. Maybe learn how to paint with acrylics. I've already learned a few things: acrylic doesn't stick very well to glue from a hot glue gun, I should have bought rounder brushes instead, art supplies are expensive, there's SO much to figure out, and I'm already overwhelmed by YouTube tutorials. Whew! My first project was painting my word from 2012.
- Other memories that didn't get captured by the camera - my boys attended their first ballet, The Nutcracker, to see a friend perform in it. Several walks and carefree outings with hubby. Game night with our lovely neighbors. Celebrating our friend's 13th birthday at Moreno's. Christmas Eve service at church. Lots of hot cocoa. Finishing a fun fiction series - Beyonders The Complete Set: A World Without Heroes; Seeds of Rebellion; Chasing the Prophecy. Sitting around the fire pit - wish we would've done that more! I'm sure I've left out things, but all in all I really enjoyed just relaxing and hanging out with my family.
Gotta end this post to go and play Settlers of Catan. :)
- *affiliate links included in this post