Friday, April 25, 2014

Are You Blessed?

Pin It Now!

I'm guilty.

I naturally tend to think of blessings in the material form like unexpected, anonymous money gifts or a brand new, first ever bistro set for front porch sitting


or trading in a teeny car that scrunches too long legs for a dreamed for Jeep that fits a family of five comfortably. Just to name a few, recent blessings our family has received. :)


I also tend to think of blessings in the form of family, health, being able to go on vacation, and living in America, and stuff like that.

And, truly, all of those wonderful things are blessings for which I am extremely thankful. However, there's another side to this blessing coin, and it comes straight from the sermon on the mount. If you are wondering if you are blessed, just ask yourselves the following questions:


Not too long ago, all three of my children took several weeks to memorize the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12). Every week, I had the privilege of hearing them recite what they'd learned, and I began asking myself based on this particular Scripture, words spoken by Jesus, "Am I blessed?"

Blessings aren't always the things that make us feel all warm and fuzzy feely. In fact, sometimes the biggest blessings come from some of the most difficult circumstances. I've seen it over and over again in my own life, but usually in the very midst of a difficult season, I am too blinded by discontent to see it as blessing. It's hard to bow the head and close the eyes and proclaim, "Thank you for these blessings" when they feel anything but. I usually pray for God to take away the things that don't feel good, the things that don't feel like blessings.

As a believer, wouldn't everything count as a blessing, though? I mean if Romans 8:28 is true, then all things are working for my good. And if all things are working for my good, then isn't everything that comes my way a blessing? If only I was mature enough to see it that way. God is working on me. :)

Jesus loves me, I am heaven bound . . . I am blessed.

Are you?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...