Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Homemade Strawberry Cupcakes

Pin It Now!

I had a craving for real strawberry cupcakes. I didn't want anything from a box with those artificial bits of who-knows-what. I found a tempting recipe from A Southern Fairytale. And, I made them. :) Oh my, they are delicious!!

Two things I did differently:
  1. I didn't use the optional strawberry extract.
  2. I made different frosting.
I am posting my frosting recipe here, because it's my own simple creation. If you'd like the strawberry cupcake recipe click here. The pictures are absolutely beautiful!


 
I made these for our Valentine's Day dessert this year, and they really are amazing!!

 

Homemade Strawberry Frosting

Ingredients:

* 4 cups of powdered sugar
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/4 cup strawberry puree
* About 3 TBSP milk

Directions:

First, the night before you want to make the frosting, cut about 5-6 large strawberries into small chunks and sprinkle at least a tablespoon of regular white sugar over them. Let them sit in the fridge overnight. The next day, mash the mixture into a chunky puree. Hopefully, you will end up with about 1/4 cup of puree.


 
 
Now, beat the powdered sugar, butter, and strawberry puree together adding the milk as necessary to make it into the consistency you want it. I like my frosting to be a little thick so I can pipe it on the cupcakes without it sliding down the sides. I put my frosting in the fridge before I used it, so I had to add just a tad of milk to whip it up and make it smooth again.

Oh, this frosting was SO good. I could've eaten it all without cupcakes - it was THAT good. My whole family loved these yummy strawberry cupcakes with strawberry icing!!

Oh, I almost forgot - I know this frosting was enough to frost a dozen cupcakes and maybe a few more. But, I like to use a lot of frosting. :)


 
 
Here's what I did with some leftover strawberry frosting when I made it a second time - made graham cracker frosting sandwiches. Brought back memories of my childhood because this is what my mom used to do. :) YUM.



Linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Try a New Recipe Tuesday, Works for me Wednesday.

1 comment:

Lisa Boyle said...

Brandi, these look SO absolutely delicious! I just love fresh strawberries, as well! :-) Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I can't wait to see what you will share this week. :-) Many blessings, Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...