Monday, October 29, 2012

"Roughing It" At My First Women's Retreat

Pin It Now! When my girlfriends and I pulled up to our cabin in beautiful Prescott, I knew right away that my boys would be proud of me. My kids haven't exactly been blessed with a mom who's known for roughing it. And believe me, staying in a cabin with 5 bunk beds squeezed into a tiny room and a bathroom the size of a closet is unfortunately for me, roughing it. ;) (I will add here that I was ever so thankful for that tiny bathroom and that I didn't have to use an outhouse or a chamber pot!)

Lincoln was kind of jealous that I was getting to stay at a camp -- the setting of many of his favorite books. Only I was hoping that no ill fate would befall me like all of those characters in Goosebumps! I am happy to report that the only excitement I experienced in that department was a black spider in the bathroom and some overly curious bees.

 
Wow, and here is my bed. Right next to a wall and a window. Two things I don't like! Again, the whole roughing it thing, right? I faintly remember staying at a place like this in Tennessee when I volunteered as a leader at a youth camp while I was in high school. Yeah. There's a reason it's only a faint memory and that I have never been back to a place like that again. Did. Not. Like.

 
Anyway, after adding my daughter's pretty pink flower sheets and my nice, warm blanket made by my hubby's grandma, the bed was perfect. With the help of Tylenol PM and some earplugs, I did miraculously manage to sleep about 4-5 hours per night.
 

Because of my aversion to roughing it, having a history of not being able to sleep away from home, having little children to tend to for the past 13 years, and many other excuses reasons, I had never been to a women's retreat until now. I really was a little apprehensive about not being able to sleep and being tired and stressed, but I knew it's where I needed to be. Where I wanted to be.

Over the past couple of years God has brought some amazing ladies into my life through our plant church. Because life can get so busy, it's been difficult to really spend time with some of them. Plus, I can tend to be a loner even though I long for close friends. For some reason it's been hard for me to really get close to anyone since moving to AZ. I knew I needed to just be with these women for a weekend fellowshiping and studying God's Word together.

I loved every minute.

And I can't wait to share more. Another day. :)



2 comments:

Sheila said...

I was looking at works for me Wednesday posts and read yours. Noticed that you live in AZ and scrolled through some of your posts and saw this one. I live in Prescott. Where was the retreat? Most of the camps I have driven by (we have only lived here about a year and a half) are in the pines, but I'm thinking this one may be on the other (north) side of town. My daughter even played volleyball there once, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, interesting to see the place I live in a blog post. You were nice to call Prescott beautiful. I hope the retreat was good. The weather should have been nice, anyway! :) It's been very cold the last few weeks, but it seems like my husband and I were hiking in shorts in October.

Brandi said...

I don't remember what the name of the camp was. :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...