Saturday, September 22, 2012

This Phase

Pin It Now!
 
It seems that in the blink of an eye I was transported to an entirely different phase of motherhood. It's what I've longed for and, wow, now I'm here. Sometimes I still have to pinch myself in the morning and ask, Is this for real?

I am still trying to wrap my brain around this phase. This phase where my house can finally stay mostly clean. Where I can sleep the whole night through (when I am not plagued by insomnia). Where my kids stay up later than me on weekends. Where my kids do lots of chores that actually help. Where my kids can entertain themselves for long periods of time. Where I have time to do things I want to do. And the list goes on!

This phase, oh this blessed phase! I love you!

It's so refreshing to be able to wake up and take a shower every single morning if I want to! (Sometimes I even put makeup on and do my hair. Yes, it's true!) All of my kids can get their own breakfast without making a mess. Yea! I have time to read my Bible, pray, and just have a moment to myself before starting the homeschool day. I no longer have to wait until nap time for that.

I so love being able to run errands with children who aren't going to throw any fits out in public! What's really neat is being able to leave the older ones at home, so I am left with just one tag-along. (Thank goodness she's cute, sweet, and quiet!) I don't have to haul around diaper bags and strollers or have to worry that anybody will have an accident in their pants. Oh, such freedom! I do smile to myself when I see young mommies with their little ones out in public. It is a precious stage, but I am so glad I am done. ;)

Not too long ago, my youngest started taking showers all by herself. Seriously, nobody needs bathroom help anymore! I do still enjoy drying my daughter's hair, though. She'd rather skip it, but I try to encourage her to cherish these sweet momma/daughter moments because soon, all too soon, she will be all grown up. :(

I think I've finally realized that I no longer have little kids. That stage is OVER. I can't ever go back. Honestly, it does make me a little sad. There are some things I miss dearly. But raising little ones is HARD work with very few breaks. It's physically draining. I am so glad that I don't feel as if I've been run over by a Hummer every day.

I love this phase! (Well, as long as my baby girl still cuddles, holds my hand, and lets me read to her.) When she stops doing those things, I am sure I will have a motherhood phase meltdown!

3 comments:

Staci said...

Ah....how I longed for this phase. My kids are almost there. But God laughed at my plans (you know, "The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps."). I'm not certain I will see this phase for years....SEVERAL years!! :)

Catie said...

So true. I'm liking the shift into reasoning with them instead of feeling like I'm constantly doling out rewards or on counting patrol all the time. How cool that they are turning into such independent little people. They are so beautiful. Absolutely love the photo!!!

Brandi said...

Staci, I love how the Lord is directing your steps. I can't wait to see the fruit of your faith and obedience! He doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. :)

Catie, thank you. I have always wanted train track photos, and last November I got my wish! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...