Thursday, August 23, 2012

Exploding Glass, Volcanic Eruptions, & Itty Bitty Battering Rams

Pin It Now! Oh, for the JOY of homeschooling! I can't believe we are already at the end of the 4th week of our 2012-2013 school year for Rivendell Academy. I think it is safe to say that this has been the week we've finally settled into a nice, smooth routine. (Well, I do have a child who likes to spice things up every now and then, but mostly it's smooth sailing now.)  

So, what's been going on at this fine institution of all things wise and wonderful? Well, I can tell you one thing - I had a moment the other day when my oldest was doing a science experiment that involved glass and fire, and he casually mentions, "Just to let you know, the glass might explode."



Come again? People, my face was about a foot away from the glass that could have exploded. (This picture was taken before he put the candle under the glass and said the "E" word.) His siblings were also gathered 'round the little experiment station. Um, not to mention he wasn't wearing eye protection, and he was using one of my dinner glasses, not like an old coconut oil jar or something. This kid is SMART, but sometimes he just doesn't think. The teacher kinda ended the experiment right then and there. (He was pretty much done, anyway.) I am very thankful the day didn't end with shards of glass having to be dug out of my or my kids' faces. :)



Every Thursday is History Project Day, and my second grader chose to make a mess volcano outside in remembrance of that fateful day in A.D. 79 when the unsuspecting people of Pompeii were devastated by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Praise the Lord for helpful older brothers! Lincoln volunteered to assist Shiloh with her project, even though I handled the red food coloring part. :)



 
Actually, this "lava" flowing down the sides of the "mountain" is a bit of a misrepresentation of what happened in Pompeii since most of the magma was suspended above the people's heads like a giant mushroom. It was the ash, debris, hot air, and toxic gases that ended so many lives in a split second. But anyway, it was a fun project nonetheless! The images of people and animals frozen in time is quite interesting to see.


My fifth grader chose a simple, not-very-messy project. (My favorite kind! I know. . . I will never win the Homeschool-Mom-of-the-Year Award.) He created a battering ram, a weapon the Romans used, out of Legos® to go along with our lesson on Masada.


 

Well done children! Now that the first few weeks are over, I can say with confidence, "I look forward to many more amazing homeschool days with you!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...