Thursday, February 03, 2011

Can I Pick 2?

Pin It Now!

Recently, the kids and I finished our journey through the book of Proverbs. Our purpose for this particular study was lots of memorization!




Here's what we did:



We'd read a proverb together during our morning Bible time. I'd have the boys each pick one verse from that proverb to memorize. To make this especially personal for them, they could pick whatever verse they wanted--whichever verse spoke to them the most.


Then, they would write their verses down. Mullin chose to write his verses on note cards and Lincoln chose to write his in a notebook.


The next day, we would review memory verses.


And this continued for the next few months--read, write, and review.


By the time we finished, they'd memorized 31 verses. (Except for Shiloh ~ I only assigned 4 verses from the entire book, and she learned them very well!)


What we did next:



I told the boys to narrow their favorite Proverbs verses down to 5. Then, for their last Proverbs assignment, I wanted all of the kids to pick just one to print out and hang up in their rooms.


With a hopeful look in his eye, Lincoln asked me, "Can I pick two?"



"Um, YES! Of course!" Like I'd say NO. :)


Here's what they picked:



One of my favorite verses in Proverbs is Proverbs 3:5-6 ~ "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."


Lincoln chose that one and Proverbs 3:11-12 ~ "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent His rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves as a father the son he delights in." (Hmm, I guess technically he chose 4 verses. :))


Mullin chose Proverbs 3:27 ~ "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is your power to act."


Shiloh picked Proverbs 22:6 ~ "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." ( She even cut out pretty paper as a background on which to glue her verse. She was so happy about hanging it up by her bed. So sweet.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...