Friday, October 24, 2008

Dealing With a Peanut Allergy

Pin It Now! On Thursdays, Shannon over at Rocks in my Dryer, hosts a series called "What I'd Like For You to Know", and today's guest blogger is discussing what it is like for her family to deal with the seriousness of her child's peanut allergy.

Oh, how I can relate to her!!! She has taken the words right out of my mouth concerning this issue. It truly is a scary thing to have to deal with this particular allergy on a daily basis. I like the fact that the guest blogger cleared up the differences between food allergies and food sensitivities.

I encourage anyone who knows our dear son, Lincoln, to read this post!!

**And just a gentle reminder to any family and friends---I promise I don't keep asking about nuts to offend anyone. I do it b/c I love my son and know the seriousness of his particular allergy. Please continue to be patient as I will never stop asking about peanuts!!! :)






2 comments:

Robyn A. said...

I felt the same way about that post!! My son also has a peanut allergy and I was thrilled that so many people who read Shannon's blog are more educated now. People cannot understand what it is like to have a child allergic to peanuts until you do.

By the way, I drive everybody crazy asking about nuts, too. I don't even allow my son, age 3, to be in the same room with them. Who knew something so little could scare a grown woman so much??

-Robyn
www.peanutallergykid.com

not up to code said...

That was a really good post. It is so frustrating to deal with serious health issues that others don't understand. Not understanding is one thing but when people accuse you of being overly dramatic, whinny, or over protective it is just wrong. And no, I'm not even talking about our small lactose issue around here.

Some describe health problems like this as an invisible illness. The public grants extra grace when they can see an illness - like a cancer patient who has lost their hair, or someone on crutches or wheel chair bound. But when the illness is not immediately evident they judge and criticize.

I do, however, find that I am becoming very cautious about the food that Jack ingests and all he is dealing with is a lactose intolerance. It is certainly nothing life threatening but I am always asking if that has milk in it. Here we are at Halloween and I am confiscating all chocolate products to make sure Jack doesn't eat it. Again his problem just means he will feel bad not risk being rushed to the ER or need a hit of Epipen. I can only imagine the panic that a peanut allergy mom feels at this time of year!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack you blog. Can you tell this hit a nerve?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...