Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Black Attack

Pin It Now! For the past few months our home has been invaded by a militia of little black water beetles. They are actually kind of cute and a bit smaller than a lady bug. The bugs have stirred up some long forgotten childhood memories. When I was about Mullin's age, I lived here in the desert, and every summer I would collect these same little water beetles. I would find one of those gallon ice cream buckets my mom had stashed away in the cupboard, fill it with dirt, sticks, leaves, grass and a small amount of water. Then I would find as many black bugs as I could and put them in their new home. I am sure they loved being there as much as I loved watching them be in there! Mullin and Lincoln don't seem to want to do the same thing, oh well. I have actually felt badly about having to flush some down the toilet lately. Sometimes I just throw them in the garbage unsmooshed, and that makes my conscience feel a little better.
I am getting a little tired of the black bugs coming into our home, but that is nothing compared to the invasion we experienced last week by a much larger, blacker and more evil creature.
I never thought a quarter-sized, venomous villain could make me feel so vulnerable, but when I noticed a thick web of steel creeping out from underneath my home school cabinet/hutch located in my kitchen, I knew what lurked there. I tried to tell myself no way, it just couldn't be, but when I slashed the web with a ruler and felt the strength of it, I couldn't lie to myself any longer. This was a job for hubby hero. I made him pull out the furniture to verify that it was in fact a wicked BLACK WIDOW, and it was. I shuddered the moment I laid my eyes on it because I always stick my arm under that piece of furniture to retrieve toys and such. I have seen Shiloh do the very same thing. Thank the good Lord we were never bitten!!!!!!! Needless to say this widow will never eat another mate ever again! I still get chills when I open our home school cabinets. EW!!

4 comments:

Denise Portis said...

Oh my! I have terrible arachnophobia too! I'm so glad no one was bitten! (I also didn't know their webs were stronger? As indicated by your post?) You CAN teach an old dog...

DeniseP
http://www.lightkeepers.net/hearingelmo/index.html

not up to code said...

Creeeeeeepy! You guys must attract crazy venomous spiders.

T-Bone said...

that give me chills and makes me want to do a thorough search under all of my furniture. yick!

Anonymous said...

Hubby Hero. I like the sound of that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...